Sunday, January 24, 2010

Amazonia Jungle Fishing - Part II

Even after having spotted the Arapaima......... and trying hard to fish it with lure, it still eluded us......... again and again........ Wild Arapaima is not that easy at all, heard that they will only occasionally take the lures..........
We try to move further up into more remote area.............
Sometimes we even pack ready our lunch so that we don't lose time on more fishing........Diego caught himself an Oscar Fish?....... But he claimed that it is not.........
A Baiara (Rhaphiodon vulpinus) "PERRO" is what the local call it........... Yeah!........... It was a very good jumper, and is mostly active in the evening...... searching for prey in the river intersection.............. And this little parasitic fish dropped out from the Payara's gill....... This is the one they call Vampire Fish locally....... Its diet is the mineral contain in the blood of the prey. That is why the locals fore warn us not to pee inside the river while we are taking a bath. It will get into our urinary track, get stuck there, die and become rotten........ and you will need an operation to remove it........ Scary. Scary.
"Garopa",.... related to the Pacu family......... And we are off again............
A Cayman trail left on a sandy bank...........
A Stingray lying still in the shallow water having a sun tan..........
A Bicuda Fish on my pencil bait...........Hoe hooked up something while we were doing drift fishing...............A weird looking catfish took his lure........The locals call it PEHESABO.........Soon the evening came............. Day after day, still no result of the Arapaima yet.......
Our cook Rahaul busy attending to dinner with our catches..........A fried fillet of Corvina the River Bass left us speechless........ Yummy!!
The search is still on for the biggie.................
Along the riverside on a sandy bank, spotted a fresh turtle trail......... Since it was the season for turtle egg laying, we went searching for some..........
The locals are an expert in locating the egg burial ground..........
Eggs of the Charapa aquatic river turtles......
We even tried it with our lunch.........
Look at the big egg yolk......
Found a female beetle here...... I wonder what species it's from?......
Some kind of a armoured dragon looking grass hopper........Having R & R after dinner..............
1st day of 2010 (local time) and I am spending it here in the Amazonia Jungle......... Today we came to an Oxbow Lake where the canal was partially dried up........
And it's a hardship to pull the canoe into the Oxbow Lake.....
Spotted some unknown small fish at the entrance of the lagoon.......
Entering quietly into the lagoon......... Another kind of Dog Fish in this area.........
It look like a fresh water Baracuda to me..........
While entering into the deeper part of the lagoon, we spotted a pair Arapaima......... After calculated the possible direction, I threw my first cast into the lake........ Zooom! A strong missed bite at where I casted the lure, you can tell by looking at the wave that the beast created while it tried to attack my lure.......... Huge!! ........ Paused for a few seconds, I made my second cast slightly to the left, immediately after a few jerks in the water the Arapaima took my lure......the unstoppable runs began,......I know to I've to hookset my lure's treble hook into it's bony hard mouth is a most difficult thing to do...... I did jerked it as hard as I could, but the runs were so strong that I couldn't fight it standing up on my canoe........ This small lagoon is full of heavy structures near the bank. At the first two dash it tend to run for the half sunken dead trunks.......... Aarrrrgh I can't stop it with my Daiwa rod Rextyle 631MHFB, a medium heavy rod, 60lb Daiwa PE line with 80lb Maxima Mono line for Shock-leather...... Luckily I have my strong Ryoga reel set at full drag to stop it from running into the deep structures........ When it surfaced for air, it fought more aggressively trying to dislodge the hooked lure when it saw us and the canoes..........
Again the run is unstoppable............ Arrggggh................... The fight went on for 20 over minutes............
Although it made many unstoppable runs, it still could not escape from me,........ After the 5th round of surfacing it-self for air, the fish was truly tired........... At this point I should have landed it immediately by now........but,...........
I could see that the hook setted shallow at the edge of the mouth, the treble hook just nipped at its nose........Just because it had stopped running, it doesn't mean that you can manhandle it as you like for a photo shoot. Even when tired, a fish this large and this strong can be unpredictable.......... I tried to pump it in with my medium heavy rod. It was just too big for it.......At last, I broke my rod when I pumped too hard. Right after smashing the rod into three pieces, my line came back with an openned snap......... Oh! My God! the fish got loose........" It's already drown it-self in the water. A big sized fish like this couldn't surface to gulp air when it got too exhausted during the long fight", said my buddy Hoe............. We decided to dive in & search below the 4 meters water, and finally Hoe located it and brought it up with his bare hands..... Oh! My Man......nn! Look at this monster beast.........Huge!!!It was sad that the fish died during the fight......... This monster weigh approximately 60kgs plus....... This is what I am looking for - The Araipaima Giggas or PAICHE, where it is commonly known here.......... Yes! Year 2010 present for me....... Yahoo! Fortunately, we were able to take some photos of it (thanks to Hoe's help)....... This giant fish ranks among the most ancient fish on earth - Jurassic period, 200 million years back, man! And it's also the largest scale fish in the Amazonia....... Sad for the fish....... Good for the result........
We took it back and share it among the local community.......
Look at the size...... Hoe looks smaller than the monster.....Close-up shots..........Beautiful large scales.......
Took some scales as souvenier......I even have an autograph by the fish.......Heh Heh Heh!Even though the rod had broken....... It is still my champion fishing gear set today......especially my Super Shap Rap...Our indigenous guide Jose filleted the fish into slices.........
To slaughter this giant fish requires a very skillful & technical hand........Drying up the fillet for the local community........Some parts are smoked and brought home....... Well, I have never tried this good & delicious a freshwater fish before....... Speechless with the aroma and the taste of it......... Perfecto!
Well, I even nibbled at the bonny jaw of the fish.........At last, the trip came to an end after 8 days of fishing here.......Cleaning up and clearing out...........On the way out........... ......A small mishap - pricked my hand on torny palm tree...... Ouch!
After the injection in Quito for stopping the inflamation....... I had an allergic reaction...... Can you still recognise me? Bye!!