Saturday, July 17, 2010

Beetle hunt

After spending so much time on fishing trip....... this weekend I went up to Fraser's Hill for a break with my family and friend............ Of course I will not skip the chance of catching some beetles........... Here my friend from Taiwan and I trying a light trap by the road side............
This lamp was a gift from my Taiwan friend who himself is also a bug maniac too........we started the light trap from sunset till 10:00pm and nothing interesting turn up....... Am I trying at a wrong place or wrong season here?!........ Finally, this stag beetle showed up when we were just about to pack up............We also try a Light trap at the balcony of the rented apartment.............. Many moths turned up that night........
Here comes some beetles............This was the only one stag beetle that I collected that night, a male stag beetle Cyclommatus Lunifer.........My Taiwanese friend brought over some of his self bred beetles for me...... he is much crazy about beetles compared to me............Wow! UNBELIEVABLE - Live beetle all the way from Taiwan!!! A beautiful Malayan Dorcus antaeus from the Lucanidae family, all this while this is the only species that have eluded me and which I have not collected even one yet..........
Wow! Look at this, it's a great horn beetle from South America Dynastes hercules ecuatorianus of the Dynastidae family..........